20 November 2006

At the Royal Albert Hall



I haven’t been blogging lately because I’ve been “studying” (and, therefore, dull) but Thursday afternoon I bussed to London to see The Be Good Tanyas play at Royal Albert Hall... David met me at Victoria station and we headed out to Kensington on the tube from there. The walk from the station to the RAH was a little on the chilly side. Yes, things are finally cooling down in England! It’s not quite tuque weather, but scarves are definitely de rigueur. David and I blew along the street in the unseen shadow of Kensington Palace, past posh apartments and illuminated monuments. And then: the Royal Albert Hall crept around the corner.


Beautiful, beautiful place. We had an interesting time finding our seats, which were the cheapest there were and, therefore, in the most awkward place in the theatre. Fortunately, when we reached the nosebleed section (aka “Obstructed View, Circle”), the ushers up there offered us better seats in the “arena” on the ground floor. Yes, please! So, we ended up with awesome seats and we also got to see the theatre from the top and the bottom. Excellent.

The opening act, Kathryn Williams, was really good. A sweet-voiced English folkie girl. Gin and tonic in the interval. Then: the main attraction--The Be Good Tanyas (sweet-voiced Canadian folkie girls). Very, very good. Except....they didn’t play their One Big Hit: Littlest Birds. It was a little heartbreaking. But, all things considered, it was a fantastic evening. Here’s to escaping Oxford!

No comments: