19 April 2007

ciaociaociaociao


I've said a fond farewell to Calabria. I had a great time. I have a tan. I am left with insatiable appetites for spicy salami, hard cheese, crusty breads, cheap wine, grappa. Not that I didn't have these appetites before. Visiting Calabria just confirmed that I am genetically predisposed to loving these things.

I also have plans to defect to Calabria and become a cleaning woman at a coastal hotel upon handing in my thesis on June 11. I may not have learned much about literature at Oxford (blame me, not the university) but I do know a thing or two about making beds. And sitting by the sea.

Back in Oxford now and it's difficult to get back into the swing of things (was I ever in it to begin with?). I bumped into an MStud classmate outside Hertford/the Bod yesterday and he gleefully told me about the manuscript he'd been reading in the Duke Humphries library while I desperately tried to change the subject. I suspect Trinity term is going to involve a lot of conversations like this. I suspect Trinity term is going to involve a lot of lying on grass and drinking Pimm's.

Lynne & Pierre arrive tomorreve. I can't study when my parents are in town... right?

1 comment:

Pantagruelle said...

Old dusty manuscripts bore me to death too. Why can't academics talk about the real world with as much enthusiasm as they talk about texts that nobody else has read or cares about? Academia needs more real world oriented academics. Perhaps a reason to stay in it after all?